Friday, September 27, 2013

what to get for afganastan?

quick birthday gift ideas for wife
 on WIFE BIRTHDAY GIFTS | Holiday Gifts
quick birthday gift ideas for wife image



kristy U


hi, my husband looks to be leaving forAfganastan soon. I am wanting to get things to prepare us, like for communication..like webcam another laptop etc....what should IZ do from the bigest to smallest ideas thankyou so much to all who take the time to answer


Answer
I am a British Army wife so my experiences of communications when my husband is deployed may be different from yours, but for what it's worth!....

The access they have to comms. will depend on where they are and what they are doing. Some people have access to the internet pretty frequently but others much less so, so don't panic if you don't hear from him via the net often and he can't chat for long.
We have usually found phone calls pretty straightforward but your husband might want to take more than one phone as some cell phones work... in some places!
We have a system called 'eblueys' where we can send a letter via the internet which is automatically printed out and sealed in Theatre. It's a heck of alot faster than snail mail.
My husband and I both have dictaphones, and when he is deployed he takes one and a supply of tapes. We each chat into the tape every day (I leave mine on when I am cooking or chatting to the children so he can hear the sounds of home) and then we post them at the end of the week. Trust me, when you are alone and missing him dreadfully at night there is NOTHING like being able to just flick the tape on and hear his voice.

Here is a quick list of the things we always pack (excluding kit, wash kit, and civvy clothes)

LOTS of wet wipes (in tubs, the packets dry out)
Extra socks (they get through far more than they would at home).
Immodium (they all get upset stomachs!!)
Asprin
Linen handkerchiefs which you have washed and ironed (they come in handy for lots of things and they smell of home)
Don't forget contact lense solution if he uses it
phone chargers
stationery
pens
dictaphone & tapes
family photographs
A Christmas stocking if he'll be out there for Christmas.
(Don't laugh!...I send my husband a small gift every week, so he has lots on Christmas day and he keeps them in his stocking!)
Blank Birthday and Christmas cards so he can send them to the family from Theatre.
A portable CD player
CDs
Books

This is all I can think of for now. I know how very hard pre deployment is and I'll be thinking of you. :)

Dad is getting Married this weekend need a nice gift idea!?




drlng


My dad is getting married this weekend after 4 years of being alone.(We lost my mother to cancer.) It will be an out of town, intimate, wedding and it will be very emotional for me and my sisters. I don't have a problem with his future wife, but we are not very close so... i would like to give him a gift on the morning of his wedding with a good sentimental value. The problem is, i've procrastinated and now i need to come up with something quick. Any ideas??
Thanks!
By the way.. please look closely, and it was never written as IDEAL.... that thing you think is an L is actually an exclamation mark! =)
Thanks for the ideas.. keep them coming! Also, just as a note, I willl also include a gift for both, but I just wanted to do something special for him on the morning of with my sisters and I



Answer
Try something like a photo album, so that he and his new wife can start building memories together ( you can personalize it for them, or give them a gift card to have it done). It's personal for both of them, not just your dad, you might not want to seclude your "step mom". Maybe include a disposable camera to kick off the plan....
Good luck to you!

ok, for the "just for him portion":

Write him a letter, telling him how you feel. There is nothing that you can buy that will be better than telling him.
There is nothing better than getting a letter from a child that tells you how you make them feel.
(My son writes me letters for Birthdays and special occasions, I save them all and cry when I read them, they are better to me than "gifts")




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment