Sunday, September 8, 2013

What would a Korean girl like to get for her 15th birthday?

30th birthday gift ideas jewelry
 on ... jewelry for 30th birthday gag gifts for 30th birthday gag gift ideas
30th birthday gift ideas jewelry image



Mark P


My wife and I are currently living in Seoul and have been invited to a Korean friend's house to celebrate her daughter's 15th birthday. We are Americans in our mid-40s and have practically no idea what might interest a 15 year-old Korean girl. Anyone have any constructive ideas?


Answer
Don't get her a music CD. Her parents may not want her to be distracted from her studies with boy bands and pop music and whatnot. Also don't get her make-up, jewelry, stuffed animal and other such childish toys.

To be really honest the most culturally safest and most appreciated gift would be for you to give her money. In the US that may be considered too materialistic, crass or not thoughtful and impersonal but in Korea those negative connotation just don't exist. When I go to weddings for Korean-American friends I just give cash and I know the couples prefer cash.

Don't be apologetic when you give the gift and don't feel sorry about it or anything. Be firm and remember that you're adult and her superior in the confucist hierarchy of things and that it's entirely appropriate for you to provide by giving her a cash gift for her birthday.

Just tell her parents that you weren't entirely sure what would be an appropriate gift for a 15 year old girl in Korea and that you want to give this to her so she can use it for whatever she needs be it for books, study expenses or to have fun with her friends even though it's not much and give the gift to the girl or her parents in an envelope. That should be fine.

But make sure you feel ok with this. If you feel uncomfortable giving the gift then your hosts are going to be uncomfortable sensing your discomfort. Another good idea would be getting her a gift certificate at a clothing store or a department store.

As for the amount the gift amount somewhere around 30 thousand won is probably a good ball park figure.

It might also be good to bring some fruit for the dinner. A box of whatever fruit is in season should be fine. It doesn't have to be the expensive gift box kind. You can also bring some dessert from a bakery, etc.. But this is optional. Don't just bring the fruit and not get the girl anything. That might be socially acceptable but I think the birthday girl wouldn't be so happy with that whereas she would probably be very thankful if you gave a gift specifically to her.

What are some good gift ideas?




SnuggElbea


I don't know what to get for my Mom for her birthday and Christmas. They are really close together in the same month. Here are some ideas I thought of:
iTunes gift card
Walmart gift card
key chain

Can you guys help me out? What are some other gift ideas, or what one of these choices do you like best?



Answer
My Mom's birthday is December 15th, so I'm in the same boat as you.
It's tough because you have to figure out 2 gifts instead of just one.

I am a mother also and I now understand what my mother meant when she would say "Don't get me anything!" It isn't an altruistic statement. It means that she doesn't want you spending money on items that she doesn't really want and doesn't have room to store.

With that in mind, I always buy my mother something that I know she will need or want, but of a better quality than she can afford. For example, I will buy her a nice bottle of wine, or one year I bought her some very expensive skin care products.

The keyring is a good idea because it is a useful item ... so make it a fabulous keyring, something she would never buy for herself. There are some beautiful Tiffany-inspired keyrings at jewellery stores. Plus, there is a sentimental factor involved ... every time she uses her keyring, she will think of you.

One year, my daughter bought me a beautiful pill case for my purse (to carry around asperin or Tylenol). The pill case is an absolute jewel -- I'm sure it cost her $20-30. But I love it and use it every day.

Perhaps you can get her a couple of items (like the keyring and a pillcase or compact) for her purse? It would be lovely to have some beautiful and high-quality purse accessories.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment