Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Hello! A question about gifts!!?

birthday gift ideas for visiting teachers
 on Make a birthday box for your visiting teaching families | Gift Ideas
birthday gift ideas for visiting teachers image



Satya (Ble


Can you please tell me what is the meaning in giving gifts on Christmas?
And can you please tell me to who, you should give gifts and to who you should not give?
Thank you.
Yes, we do not have Christmas, but we are having Christmas tree and gifts's giving from last 5 years. My kids like Christmas tree.
Is it OK to give gifts to my kids' teachers (even the past grades)!! If i give, how do they feel? Thanks again



Answer
It's okay to give a small gift to the children's teachers, but I wouldn't give one to a former teacher unless that person had made a lasting friendship with your family. However, it's not mandatory to give Christmas gifts to teachers. Teachers differ in how they feel about gifts, too. They often get lots of small useless things. I know this because I'm related to several teachers.

I think it's best to save gift giving for immediate family and close friends, or the whole thing can spiral out of control. When people give gifts to everyone they work with and know, it turns into trading lots of useless junk with other people. Many workplaces, and even families, draw names and only give a gift to the person whose name they've drawn.

I have a son and friends who give charitable donations for gifts. They make a donation to a charity in my name and that's their gift to me. I like that. I have enough "stuff". It's also a good way to give a gift for someone who is hard to buy for. I give a donation to a local charity which supports art in schools as a gift to an artist friend. She already has everything and likes the idea of promising students being given art supplies for their use at home, which the is what the charity does.

In many places, it's customary to tip service people at Christmas time. If you had a maid, doorman, etc. you would give them a card with a Christmas bonus of money. In my case, I give the paper boy a good tip at Christmas since I don't tip him during the rest of the year. I give it early enough that he can use the money before Christmas if he wants to buy gifts.

Personally, I only give gifts to the children in the family. The adults all have good jobs and can go buy what they want for themselves. I save their birthdays as the time to give them something thoughtful that I know would be special to them.

Christmas represents the birth of Christ. The early church placed the holiday close to the winter solstice which was widely celebrated in pagan societies. Gift giving was in immitation of the three Magi, or wise men, who came with gifts for the infant Jesus. In some cultures Santa brings the gifts to the children, in others it's the "three kings" who bring the gifts.

Christmas in the US is a mixture of different traditions from different countries. Being a country of immigrants, people brought their holiday customs with them. Families with Hispanic or Italian background often go in for manger scenes. Many have the manger with figurines plus a Christmas tree. The Christmas tree and Santa were northern European customs. We've shared each others customs and it seems to vary from family to family, everyone taking which customs they like. In my family, we have a Christmas tree, presents for the children and a large family dinner where the focus is on visiting and catching up with each other's lives. If Christmas is new to you, you have the opportunity to start your own customs. :-)

Do you think I should or not?




blue_star1


Ok one of my past college teachers from school last semester and I are friends but not close close. I have been out to eat w/her a couple of times and she invited me over to her house to see her new baby. I have given her 3 baby gifts also. We talk alot through email but ever since school started and she had her baby which is her first, she doesn't write me over email as much as she used to. I also know her husband and work with him. Well this is my question, her birthday is this month and I thought about getting her a little card and a gift certificate to her fav. restaurant. I dont know if I should or not though. I was gonna ask her if I could come by her office at school to visit or if she would mind. I was just gonna see if she still acted like she wanted to be friends still if you know what I mean. I think she's a really nice person and friend, although we aren't very close. What do you think I should do? Thanks for your advice!


Answer
If you're not "close close" but you've already given her 3 baby gifts you might be in danger of overwhelming her a little. I'm sure she doesn't have as much time as she used to, and this is probably why she doesn't email as much as she used to. She'd probably like to stay in touch, but doesn't have much time to spend on you at present.

The card and gift certificate is a nice idea. If I were you, I'd certainly send a card, a least. If she's gotten you a gift for anything (and since you've only seen her since last semester, this might have never come up) then I'd say go ahead with the certificate. If not, you might just send the card. (Otherwise, you'll be 4-up on her in the gift department, and that might create a little pressure, on somebody who doesn't need any more stress in her life.) Either way, you might include a note on your card that says something to the effect that you realize that she's super-busy and you don't want to bother her, but for her to call or write whenever she can spare the time.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment