Friday, April 26, 2013

What should I make my best friend for her Birthday?

Q. I want to make my best friend a really cool Birthday present. I want to make it very creative and very unique. I am also either taking it on a plane, or shipping it. My friend is a girl, but i don't want to make anything super girly.
Any ideas?

A. My best friend made a personalised calender for me for my birthday two years ago. Every month had a different picture of me, her or the two of us together. And it was a calender for best friends so it was super sweet with cute quotes and stuff like that. It meant the world to me because my best friend doesn't live in the same country as me, but (as i hung it by my bed) it was like she was always there next to me. Even though it was for 2011 and its now 2012 it still hangs there, on one picture that wasn't designated to a month. I'm guessing its the same situation for you, if you're shipping it? As its just turned 2012, maybe that would be a nice gift?


How did you save and earn money for your wedding?
Q. I'm getting married in august of 2012 and we want to save as much money as possible. I start college in a week so I can't work as long. What are some ideas that could help me save and get money to save for my wedding. Like a yard sale and stuff like that..

A. 32 years ago my honey and I got engaged on News Years Eve.....We married in mid August and paid for the wedding pretty much on our own (my mom bought my dress). What we did was plan everything out....made a list of everything we needed.....right down to tablecloths and spoons. My honey got paid every week, I got paid every two weeks. Each week we bought something, one week it was all the napkins and tablecloths, the next week when we both got paid, we bought something more expensive...like the invites (at that time you had to get them from a actual printer, no computers) or we ordered and paid for the cake. By doing this, by the time we got married, everything was paid for, including the hotels for our honeymoon.
Instead of family giving you birthday gifts, ask them to get you things you need for the wedding...like the guest book or toasting glasses. Doing a yard sale will bring in some cash also.
Also keep your guest list down, and don't waste money on dumb things like wedding programs and favors (most people either leave them or throw them away at home). Keep decorations simple...live plants in a dollar basket makes a lovely centerpiece and cost about $5.00 total or less. Make your own invites. If you want food....serve pasta, salad and bread....along with your cake.
A cake/punch only reception is OK also.
Hope this helps and gives you some ideas.....
Good Luck!


Do it yourself Sweet 16 decorations?
Q. My sweet 16 birthday party is in March. I am very very excited! I want to make favors/decorations for the party because I love planning parties. Any ideas for crafty decor or favors?

A. Tissue paper pom poms. You can make a dozen of them for under $10! I'm not kidding, all you need is tissue paper, steel wire and a bit of time. Here's a tutorial: http://nothingbutbonfires.com/2010/02/how-make-those-tissue-pompoms
Streamer candeliers are so pretty. Just cut strips of crepe paper to varying lengths, attach them to a circular ring and then hang/attach the ring to the ceiling.
Garlands are easy to do: cut cardboard or felt into circles and join them together by sewing a piece of string through them all. Hang them from the wall, ceiling, handrail, doorframe. Banners also are easy.
Put small candles (spa ones) inside mason jars and place them on the tables. Another decor for tables are tin cans, if you wrap (and glue!) gift paper on the cans and put a few flowers (may be silky flowers too), they will turn in cute little vases. Too simple, but the result is great.
The last one, i can suggest is using Christmas lights. You can take paper cups, punch small holes in their bottoms then poke the light bulbs through (they will look like little lampshades).
About favors, as well as the decor, it will depend on your party theme, if any. But an inexpensive and easy DIY party favors are gumballs necklaces. I'm an party planner on my free time and a few months ago I made these to give as quinceañera favors. I put inside little boxes. Here's a tutorial: http://www.joyfolieblog.com/2012/04/diy-wednesday-gumball-necklace.html

Well, that's all I can think of at the moment. Just make sure the decor matches the theme, and get creative.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment