Friday, April 12, 2013

Chinese Girlfriend's mother's birthday, sending a traditional birthday card...what to say in the card?

Q. Her parents are from Hong Kong and speak cantonese and decent english. I purchased a traditional chinese card to wish her a happy birthday and wish her well in the year ahead of her.

Are there any small gifts that I should consider sending along with the card? I planned on writing how much I appreciate her and the family.

The daughter (my GF) means the world to me and I also planned to include how wonderful a daughter she and her husdband raised.

Is there anything I should be sensitive to? I can't imagine anything I would say would offend her or the family. I have met the family several times.

Any insight or recommendations would be very helpful!

Thanks

A. For the card, a simple blessing of "Happy Birthday" should do, given she speaks decent English and should be westernized enough.

Stay away from Chinese calligraphy in the card unless you are really confident in it.

As for the gift, I wouldn't recommend red packets. Red packets, when given on the occasion of birthdays, are given by older people to younger ones, not the other way round. E.g. younger ones who give birthday presents to older ones will receive red packets from the latters in return. And older ones will certainly give red packets to the young ones on the latters' birthdays. Don't alter the hierarchy-based tradition.

Why don't you consult your gf what her mother likes. If given at a restaurant, the gift should be small and easy to carry. It can be cosmetics or skincare products in her preference or just a bouquet of flowers to her liking. Don't send a basket of fruit unless you are bringing it to her home. She won't like the idea of holding a basket of fruits outside a fancy restaurant!!!

As for the sensitive issue, it's usual stuff. Don't mention bad things in the conversation on her brithday such as accidents and wars from the news, sickness...etc. And certainly hold your tongue with exclamations of God Damn it, Sh-t, Jesus, Holly sh-t......

White colour is considered a funeral colour in Chinese tradition. It is welcome only as a colour of the bride's gown. So try not to impress her with white colours, white flowers is a critical no-no.

The prounciation for Happy Birthday is
Saang Yat Faai Lock

I am a Chinese (Cantonese) living in Hong Kong.


I bought a video camera for my boyfriend on Ebay. Help!?
Q. I bought it for his birthday, which is this coming Tuesday (the 28th). It is coming from Hong Kong, and the seller ships the same day or the next day. What are the chances that he will receive it by his big day?

What do I do if it hasn't come? I can't just not give him anything, and I don't want to tell him I did it either!!!!

HELP!!!! I need ideas!

A. By Tuesday? - slim to none. It has to go through Customs too. I'd put a note in with his card to say a gift is on the way but not here yet. Good luck, I wouldn't buy anything from Hong Kong.


Can you give me some advice about a bithday gift to my boyfriend ?
Q. I met an American guy online a few months ago , we get along well , We met each other in Feb this year , he impressed me . We will get engaged in late May in Hong Kong . His birthday is on 3rd July , I will give him a special birthday gift in Hong Kong . What kind of gift should I give to him ?Can you give me some advice?

A. Here's something creative that will be appreciated and you will have fun doing:

Make up a crossword puzzle and have all the hints be personal inside moments and jokes that only you two would know about. Put it on a poster board and add some clipart and some pictures to it!

The crossword puzzle could be time consuming and a bit frustrating ... you could do the same idea with a WORDSEARCH or WORDFIND puzzle.

Put your computer skills to work! Use Excel, get clipart from Yahoo Images Search, copy them, and reformat them, use a gluestick to put on posterboard.

Use graph paper, and pictures from magazines if you are not as good on the computer, and it will give it a homemade feeling.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment