Saturday, April 26, 2014

Gift for an autistic 6 year old boy?

Q. Tomorrow I'm going to be going to an autistic 6 year old boy's birthday party and I was just wondering what I should get him? Would a stuffed animal be appropriate? All I know is that he cannot speak yet and that he is 6. Thank you for your help :)


Answer
Children with autism can benefit a lot of toys that are designed to help them express themselves and stimulate the senses. Toys that makes sound, vibrate or spin, are great ideas. Choose something colorful.
I think a good gift, is a play dough kit for it brings a great sensory stimulus. I've worked in child psychology clinic and many children were autistic, I remember that they loved playing with dough. Balls of various colors and sizes were also favorite toys.
Stacking blocks are a good gift but I would avoid Lego since it's so popular possibly someone else is already going to give it as a gift for the birthday boy. There are other types of blocks such as numbers or alphabet blocks.
Books with lots of pictures, touch-feel, pop-ups or with sounds are also great.
When I was invited at the 5th birthday party of one of the boys who attended at the clinic, I gave him 3 books: a touch and feel, a book with lots of animals' pictures and a pop-up ("Happy birthday to you!" by Dr. Seuss). Months later, when I was no longer working at the clinic, I saw his mother in a store and she told me that the little boy doesn't get tired of the books, he loves to flip through all pages of the books, again and again and again.
Hope that helps.

What do I buy for a double birthday party?




Candy Cane


I'm going to a birthday party for a 6 year old and a 4 year old. I was looking to buy one gift for the both of them. Does anybody have any ideas of what to buy them? The oldest one is a girl and the younger a boy.


Answer
A board game they can play together (or chess or checkers or somethig like Connect Four..kids love that game); a tent; any sporting equipment (ball & bat, badmitton set); a video game if they're into those; art supplies (paint, paper, clay, colored pencils, markers); two disposable cameras and a photo album; a DVD of a good kids' movie, complete with a basket containing popcorn, candy (for movie nite); a music CD; a restaurant gift certificate.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment