Sunday, June 2, 2013

What to make my college brother for Christmas?

Q. My brother's a college freshman this year, and I'd like to make him something really nice for Christmas because he gave me a really special birthday gift. I don't want to just buy him some electronic or anything- I want to give him a personal gift. But I don't have any ideas. I thought about making him a quilt, but I can't sew. I thought about making him one of those tie-fleece blanket things, but they look too feminine.

Any ideas? Please help me!

A. The cookies of the month idea is a good one, or fruit of the month or something else if cookies or things like "quick breads" aren't suitable for him.
Quick breads btw also mail well and last awhile (e.g., banana bread, zucchini bread or even zucchini chocolate bread, pumpkin bread, apple quick bread, etc are some of the sweet versions):
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=quick+bread
http://google.com/search?q=recipe+quick+bread


As for the tied fleece blankets, they certainly don't have to look feminine if you choose the colors/patterns carefully. Instead of flowers or "youth-oriented" images and instead of bright or purple/pink/etc. colors, just get him more-neutral colors, perhaps a pattern instead of "images," etc. (If he has a particular interest like sports or outdoors, etc., you could try and find fleece or fleece blankets in that motif since there are loads of fleece patterns at fabric stores available these days.)

You can do the ties, or you could also just sew two of the blankets or equivalent yardage of fleece together around the perimenter near the edge, or do that leaving a gap then turn the two inside out and sew the gap closed by hand, or add a binding to one rectangle of fleece (or two-attached) again in a neutral color perhaps, etc.

Another simple but homemade way to finish the edges would be to do a "blanket stitch" all the way around with some perl cotton cording/thread just to give the blanket a little more decorative look. You could make the stitches any size you wanted and use any color you want so that the stitching would be very subtle or very visible.
(Fleece doesn't ravel so actually nothing is needed on the edges, but anything you put there may keep the edges from curling inward a bit).

There are some examples of various colors of blanket stitch on the edges of fleece in this search, as well as lessons:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query="blanket+stitch"+fleece
http://www.google.com/images?q="blanket+stitch"+fleece

and more videos on making fleece blankets in general:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fleece+blanket


HTH,

Diane B.


Need some awesome birthday gift ideas for my son who is turning 4?
Q. Like I said in my previous question I'm considering the Vtech V.Smile V-Motion TV Learning System. But I know there are also other gaming systems out there for his age group too. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm not trying to get him to be one of those kids that play games all the time, but so far he hasn't played any and I think he'd really like something like that. Also open to any other gift ideas for him.

A. I can tell you *don't* buy the Fisher Price Smart Cycle. My 4 year old was so bored with that really quick (however I guess it did teach him to pedal). Like I mentioned in my other question, the Computer Cool School has been fun and educational, but honestly I'm not seeing those near as often as I used to. Not sure if they are still making them or if games are hard to find or not.

My 4 year old's very favorite toy is his ride on Lightning McQueen. He loves that thing and rides it everytime we play out side, that's been the biggest hit for a gift ever. Not sure if that's something in the price range you were looking for or not though - and it's not very educational, lol, but it's FUN!

Or what about a bike? Does he have one with training wheels yet?

I dunno, as far as other gift ideas. . .if your 4 year old is anything like mine a cardboard box makes him happy. He's never met a toy he doesn't like. :-)


What should i get my younger sister for birthday? SHe is 19 and goes to college?
Q. I was gonna get her a Kinect but they are sold out everywhere locally. Her birthday is today and I was wondering if i can have some quick great gift ideas. Preferably electronics, no ipod/iphone/ipad stuff. Something different
SHe is not into hardcore gaming. I was gonna get kinect cuz it is fun and she liked Wii

A. The best thing you can by for her is a gift card, that way she can use it and purchase what she likes. As a college student, she can use the card to purchase items she needs for college because many students do not have a lot of money and a gift card can go a long way for something she needs for her personal use.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment