Monday, July 29, 2013

How do I prepare a chicken?

birthday gift ideas 70 year old man
 on ... Birthday Gifts for Men: Ideas for the Best Presents for a 70 Year Old
birthday gift ideas 70 year old man image



Dr. No


How does one go from a live chicken to a chicken soup?
I'd be interested in both internet links, or even better, personal experience.
I've got a chicken here, and i'd like to make some soup.
well, thanks.



Answer
Hi,
I've never killed a chicken myself, but I have watched it being done. When I was a kid, my dad's cousin Joe used to kill chickens on an old tree stump. All the innards went into a clay pipe, including the feet. He'd scald the chickens in a pot of almost boiling water, pluck them, and then his wife would prepare them for dinner.
Later in life, I had a friend who used to kill chickens by hanging them in a kill cone. She'd cut off their heads, let the blood drain well into a bucket, dip in water that was around 180 degrees, and then pluck them clean. I have helped pluck them clean.
I left some resources for you to look at to give you an idea of what to do. I know I learn best by reading and/or watching as I am a hands-on learner.
You also need to know the age of your bird so you will know the appropriate way to cook him when he's dressed out. If young, he's good for frying, but if old, then the stew pot for him! Either way, he'll taste mighty fine.
Back in the 70's & early 80's (like 1975-1981), I lived in a small town (the kind if you blink you'd miss it), and the owner of the little store would always let me know when he was going to have hens to butcher. I would get them for .49c a pound and they were the fattest and best tasting chickens I could get for the money. The stores at the time wanted around .59c a pound, and their chickens weren't nearly as tasty nor as fat. These chickens from this farmer/grocer had yellow fat all on the backsides and butt area. They made the best stews, chicken and dumplings, and chicken with homemade noodles. YUM!
That man is long dead and I haven't had a good fresh home-killed chicken in over 10 years.
I have the best story! Ten years ago this November, I was turning 40 years old, and a new friend, one whom I had met just that year, called me up and told me she wanted to give me a present for my birthday; would I like to have a chicken? She lives on 92 acres and raises chickens and beef cattle, and I said to her, Ellen, I live in town, they don't allow chickens. She began to laugh and told me it was a dressed chicken from her freezer! It was my turn to laugh~and I told her I'd love to have a chicken! Later that afternoon she showed up at my door with a frozen chicken out of her freezer that she and her husband had dressed out just a few weeks before. I think it is one of the best birthday gifts I have ever recieved in my life! Who in the world thinks to give others a dressed chicken from their own farm for their birthday? I loved that gift! That gift fed my family a pot full of chicken & dumplings.
I remember sharing this story with my adult Sunday School class at church the next week as I was so excited about that gift, and they all looked at me as if I'd grown two heads!!! I felt sorry for all of them as they could not see the lovelyness of getting such a from-the-heart gift. My friend's husband was laid off and they still had 4 kids at home, so you see what a from-the-heart gift this truly was.
It's too bad most people can't see the simple gifts in life and appreciate them. I love fresh from the farm chickens as they make the best meals. I need to find another source that I can buy from regularly like I used to do from that old farmer/grocer. You've brought back many memories!
Enjoy your bird!

can anyone help with a cruise checklist?




XwillXshad


I am going on a cruise to the bahamas and i'm pretty sure i would run out of ideas before it docks back home. so i am asking anyone to come up with a checklist of 101 things to do on a cruise!!! Craziness is ultimately accepted!!! and for anyone who knows. it is the Carnival Sensation.


Answer
1. Swimming pool, and hot tubs
2. jump on the beds
3. be really awkward in the elevator
4. eat pizza at midnight
5. run through the halls wildly
6. go to the teen clubs
7. make 20 new friends
8. creep out one small child, a 12 year old girl, and a old man
9. pretend to be a statue
10. Browse the gift shops
11. go to the ports
12. make sandcastles at the beach
13. skinny dip
14. climb a tree
15. pretend it's your birthday and make the staff sing to you, then after say it was last week
16. make your own towel animals ;)
17. eat a really awkward food dish at dinner
18. try catching fish
19. draw a pretty picture
20. play pin the tail on the donkey
21. eat lots of ice-cream till you throw up
22. don't kill yourself xD
23.get 7 peoples numbers
24. find a person from mexico
25. sun tan
26. enter a contest
27. take lots of pictures
28. listen to music
29. memorize what on each deck
30. find cabins 320, 412, and 113 and knock on their door
31. go to the spa
32. go on a tour
33. read a book
34. sleep in
35. have a shower
36. style your hair in an awesome way
37. try to find a whale
38. Find a bald man (or woman) and ask to rub his (or her) head
39. do back flips in the lobby
40. balance a cup on your head for more then thirty seconds while walking around
41. randomly dance in the hallway
42. drink tons of soda
43. brush your teeth
44. make a song and sing it by the pool
45. tell a girl she is beautiful
46. tell a guy he is handsome
47. slide down a railing
48. find a penny
49. get 35 hugs from 35 diffrent people
50. use the bathroom
51. do the thriller dance
52. laugh hysterically over nothing
53. Find a banana and eat it
54. Give someone a banana and make them eat it
55. eat an exotic fruit
56. find someone from your hometown, or state/province
57. walk down the halls drunk/ pretending to be drunk
58. give someone a tip ( money )
59. give someone a tip ( advice)
60. act like a mime
61. watch a performance
62. act lika a spy/secret agent
63. do a cartwheel
64. Fake an accent when greeting someone
65. Stay up for 24 hours
66. watch t.v.
67. go from the bottom level to the top level, holding your breath
68. wear your clothes backwards and see if anyone notices
69. sulk in a corner
70. keep a diary
71. talk backwards
72. remake a scene from titanic
73. yell, THE SHIP IS SINKING
74. pretend ur doing misson impossible
75. kill a fly
76. wear your life jacket around the boat
77. pretend ur on a plane
78. Sing twinkle twinkle little star
79. sing a duet with someone
80. take lots of pictures
81. make up a fake name
82. draw yourself a moustache
83. paint your nails
84. be fashionable late
85. cannonball into the pool
86. "accidentally" drink salt water
87. sleep in the elevator
88. sleep during the day, and wake around the ship at night
89. give someone a shoe shine
90. yawn alot
91. make a paper crane and give it to the staff
92. play tic tac toe
93. get someone to play truth or dare with you
94. ask to eat your food with chopsticks
95. go on the water slide
96. Go to the internet cafe and e-mail someone
97. play golf
98. get a hole in one
99.trip when walking infront of a ton of people
100. have fun
101. don't get kicked off the ship

hopefully u appreciate this because it took me a LONG time to write, e-mail me and tell me how much u accually go done haha xD have fun on your cruise. My e-mail is loveisblind64@hotmail.com




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment