Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Is a sewing machine a good idea for my birthday?

birthday gift ideas from kids to mom
 on homemade mother's day embroidery card on cool mom picks
birthday gift ideas from kids to mom image



Rosie P


I'm interested in learning how to make clothes since the economy is awful and I have a passion for designing. Does this sound like a practical idea or do you think it would be a waste of good money/birthday gift?


Answer
Before I quit my paralegal job 15 years ago to become a full-time stay-at-home mom, I purchased two things: a sewing machine and a Cuisinart food processor! I knew I would have to learn to clothe my kids more cheaply and how to cook from scratch. The sewing machine has been my all-time best purchase! I started out with "teach-yourself-to-sew" patterns from Simplicity, and later graduated to designing my own outfits using Land's End catalogs for inspiration. These days, I'm the costumier for my church and I design and sell costumes on ebay. The sewing machine has paid for itself many, many times over! (I never would have thought so after my son's first pair of dinosaur shorts turned out to be a skirt!) So, I definitely believe a sewing machine would be an awesome birthday gift. Don't give up once you get started, and make some friends at your local fabric store...they give great advice!

What are some ideas to help get a toy store get more business?




Chris


We are doing ok on sale but we want more sales..Does anyone know any ideas/events that we could do to help get it going more?


Answer
It's good that sales are ok. My question is, do you know who your customers are?

Having a system in place to capture your customers' names and addresses is vital in any business and this is one aspect that a lot of people overlook. When you know who your current customers are, it's easier to sell them more stuff. Too many times in business we spend our time chasing the new customer and not pay attention ot our current ones that are keeping the doors open. So the first idea is to start a mailing list and mail your promotions to these customers. Could be a VIP sale. Special discounts for your special customers or whatever. Just give them something that the regular Joe off the street isn't getting.

Another idea to build a mailing list is to have a contest for some toy prize package. People sign up for a drawing, and these forms are placed in restaurants and other local businesses...of course with their permission. You can get a heckuva mailing list for just the cost of a few toys that you're buying wholesale anyway. The form should also ask for the child's age and birthdate.

A few weeks before the child's birthday, send them a postcard good for $5 (or whatever) off anything in the store, and to also pick up their special birthday gift from you. Thsi could be anything...I'm sure a quick glance through yoru catalogs will give you plenty of ideas. The strategy here is to get kid, mom, and dad in your store to pick up the gift, the kid has the coupon, and they'll probably buy something else from ya while they're there.

Also as you build your mailing list, you can let your customers know when you are planning a special event. You'll get a much bigger response from mailing to your own list telling them about the magician that will be in your toy store on Saturday, doing shows at 11:00 AM, 1:00 PM and 3:00 PM than you would placing an expensive ad in the newspaper to the masses...most of whom couldn't care less about your store.

Customer appreciation days are also great events, as are your anniversary and holidays.

My main idea though si to begin a mailing list if you haven't done so. Your customers are your most valuable asset, know who they are. Good luck.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment